Adults & Professionals
Summer Quarter is a great time for anyone thinking of taking a college course to check out the University of Washington. Learn a foreign language, hone your job skills, fulfill professional development requirements or pursue a passion – whatever your goal is, you can make it happen at the UW in the summer.
Why UW Summer Quarter?
- Career Boost – Build your resume and gain valuable skills that can help you further your current career or transition to a new field.
- Stimulating Classes – Pursue a long-held interest or explore something new and different.
- Top Teachers – Learn from well-respected UW faculty and instructors.
- The UW Experience – Get back to the classroom in an engaging atmosphere on the scenic UW campus.
Diverse Course Selection
What’s your academic or professional interest? With nearly 2,000 courses covering more than 100 areas of study offered at UW during the summer, you’re sure to find something that will spark your curiosity or help you get ahead in your career.
If you’re a teacher or other educator, you’ll find plenty of opportunities for professional development. Take classes with leaders in the field of education and meet your continuing education requirements.
The UW Access program allows Washington state residents ages 60 and older to audit courses on a space-available basis, including Summer Quarter offerings. Members of the program will find a wide variety of subjects to explore for personal and career enrichment.
UW employees can also take advantage of Summer Quarter. Employees who want to take Summer Quarter courses are able to use their tuition exemption benefits.
To learn more about what’s available during Summer Quarter, see the UW Time Schedule or MyPlan. For more information on how to register for summer courses, see the page How to Register – Non-UW Students.
Summer Program Offerings
Summer Quarter includes a variety of programs to choose from, including a number of options only available during the summer. These include:
- Intensive Foreign Language Courses. The UW offers one of the country’s largest intensive foreign language summer programs. Choose from courses in everything from American Sign Language to Swahili.
- Summer Certificate Programs. Explore a specific area of professional interest, build valuable career skills and earn a UW certificate to bolster your resume.